Antonnikov N.A. , Skripnikov I.A.
PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS OF USING BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGIES IN THE ELECTORAL PROCESS (ON THE EXAMPLE OF MOSCOW)
Abstract. The article examines the experience of using block technologies in the city of Moscow in the electoral process at the federal and municipal levels. Recent technological developments have opened up the possibility of electronic voting, and this undoubtedly carries some opportunities and threats. On the one hand, the new technology can help make voting more economical and comfortable for the voter, and even increase voter turnout. On the other hand, electronic voting can bring new risks and influence voter values such as the secrecy of voting and the place of voting as an observed institution in modern democracies. Electronic democracy (e-democracy) has become one of the most important priorities for the development of political processes of the state. The rapid spread of the Internet since the 1990s has created great hopes for democracy. The Internet was introduced as a means for greater transparency in political life and new forms of political communication. Especially with regard to the elections, the core process of modern democracies, the Internet has promised concrete and fast benefits. Online elections can simplify and speed up the election process, as well as reduce costs, and the counting of votes and the presentation of results can be carried out faster and more reliably.Due to the spread of coronavirus infection (COVID-19), which occurs at the end of 2019 and is gradually turning into a pandemic, interest in digital technology will be of particular importance. The pandemic has turned into a serious blow to all spheres of people’s lives. With this, countries around the world have begun to accelerate the process of digital transformation in public administration. The article highlights the main opportunities and difficulties of using block technologies in the electoral process in Moscow.
Keywords: elections, electronic elections, digital transformation, blockchain
- Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of May 7, 2018 N 204 “On national goals and strategic objectives of the development of the Russian Federation for the period up to 2024” (with amendments and additions) // GARANT. – URL: https://base.garant.ru/71937200 / (accessed: 03.02.2023).
- Moscow “Smart City – 2030” // Official website of the Mayor of Moscow. – URL: https://www.mos.ru/upload/alerts/files/3_Tekststrategii.pdf (accessed: 03.02.2023).
- Federal Law “On Basic guarantees of Electoral rights and the right to participate in a referendum of Citizens of the Russian Federation” dated 12.06.2002 N 67-FZ (latest edition)//ConsultantPlus.–URL:http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons doc LAW 37119 (date of application: 03.02.2023).
- Federal Law “On conducting an experiment on the organization and implementation of remote electronic voting in the Federal city of Moscow” dated 23.05.2020 N 152-FZ (latest edition) // ConsultantPlus. – URL: http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_353204 / (accessed 03.02.2023).
- The system project of the electronic government of the Russian Federation. Ministry of Communications of Russia – URL: https://digital.gov.ru/uploaded/files/sistemnyii-proekt-elektronnogo-pravitelstva-rf.pdf?utm_referrer=https%3a%2f%2fwww.google.com%2f (date of application: 02/20/2023).
- Federal Law “On conducting an experiment on the organization and implementation of remote electronic voting in the Federal City of Moscow” dated 05/23/2020 N 152-FZ (latest edition). ConsultantPlus – URL: http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_353204 / (accessed: 02/20/2023).
- Bill No. 912249-7. State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation // State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation – URL: https://sozd.duma.gov.ru/bill/912249-7 (date of appeal: 02/24/2023).
- Federal Law “On conducting an experiment on the organization and implementation of remote electronic voting in the elections of deputies of the Moscow City Duma of the Seventh convocation” dated 29.05.2019 N 103-FZ (latest edition) // ConsultantPlus. – URL: http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_325552 / (accessed 12.03.2023).
- Kersting N. Electronic voting and democracy in Europe // Mikhail Grachev Library – URL: http://grachev62.narod.ru/Grachev/kersting.html (accessed: 01.02.2023).
- Lugovskoy A.M. Kadyrova D.N. Prospects for the use of blockchain technologies in regional policy // Scientific Electronic Library elibrary.ru – URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=36841319 (accessed: 01.02.2023).
- Fatullayeva E. A. Russian elections of 2021: a new stage in the application of electronic technologies in the electoral process // Bulletin of the Surgut State University. 2022. No. 1 (35). pp. 69-78. DOI 10.34822/2312-3419-2022-1-69-78 (accessed 01.02.2023).
- Ian Merrell. Blockchain for decentralised rural development and governance // Published by Elsevier B.V. on behalf of Zhejiang University Press. – URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2096720922000276 (accessed: 01.02.2023).
- Fedotov V.V., Emelyanov B.G., Tipner L.M. “The concept of blockchain and the possibilities of its use” // Scientific electronic library “CyberLeninka” – URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/ponyatie-blokcheyn-i-vozmozhnosti-ego-ispolzovaniya
- Fatullayeva E. A. Russian elections of 2021: a new stage in the application of electronic technologies in the electoral process // Bulletin of the Surgut State University. 2022. No. 1 (35). pp. 69-78. DOI 10.34822/2312-3419-2022-1-69-78 (accessed 07.02.2023).
- The CEC allowed the introduction of online voting nationwide by 2024 // RBC – URL: https://www.rbc.ru/politics/23/12/2020/5fe31ba99a79476f1e4deaa4 ?from=article_body (date of appeal: 02/15/2023).
- The Moscow City Election Commission was offered to conduct electronic voting in three districts // RIA NOVOSTI. – URL: https://ria.ru/20190430/1553178806.html (accessed: 03/05/2023).
- Cyber-elections v1.0: how the blockchain voting system was created in Moscow // HABR. – URL: https://habr.com/ru/article/480152 / (accessed 12.03.2023).
- How is remote electronic voting arranged in Russia, and what are its prospects // TADVISER. – URL: (accessed: 03/24/2023).
- 1Elections 2021 online: results for the State Duma, governors, legislative assemblies // Moskovsky Komsomolets. – URL: https://www.mk.ru/politics/2021/09/19/vybory-2021-onlayn-ekzitpoly-i-rezultaty-po-gosdume-gubernatoram-zaksobraniyam.html (date of appeal: 02.04.2023).
- Who voted for the parliamentary parties // VEDOMOSTI. – URL: https://www.vedomosti.ru/opinion/columns/2016/09/27/658589-golosoval-parlamentskie-partii (date of application: 03.04.2023).