PROSPECTS FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF COOPERATION BETWEEN THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION AND THE COUNTRIES OF LATIN AMERICA IN THE FIELD OF NUCLEAR ENERGY
Research Full article
Abstract. This article aims to explore the prospects for cooperation between the Russian Federation and Latin American countries in the field of nuclear energy. The analysis revealed that the development of the nuclear energy industry makes it possible to ensure the energy security of the state, as a result of which it strengthens its sovereignty and is able to more steadfastly overcome major global and domestic crises, and also reduces dependence on stronger states. The current level of development of the nuclear industry in Latin American countries, their interest in the further development or acquisition of nuclear technologies was determined, in addition, the most promising areas of joint cooperation between countries and Russia and existing projects were identified. As a result of the work, it was concluded that Latin America is a promising region with resources for the successful and rapid development of the nuclear industry, many Latin American countries have energy problems that can be solved by increasing the share of nuclear energy in the energy balance. The author also draws a conclusion about the need for active Brazilian-Russian cooperation, which will lead to Brazil becoming a technological platform. Bolivia is also an important partner for Russia. The Joint Center for Nuclear Research and Technology can become a reference and generate interest in other Latin American states that are not yet ready to introduce nuclear technologies into their economies. It is precisely the development of the non-energy sector that will speed up the process of transition to nuclear energy. Joint cooperation in this area will give a great impetus to economic growth for each side.
Keywords: Nuclear energy, Latin America, Rosatom, international cooperation, nuclear technologies
1. Arguello, I., Nuclear power in Latin America: between economic development and proliferation risks// Security index. 2010,. 16, № 4(95). – Pp. 59-76.
2. Vutyanova Ya.V., Energy policy as a factor of Russia’s geopolitical influence: abstract of the dissertation for the degree of Candidate of Political Sciences. Moscow. 2013.25 p .
3. Guliyev I.A., Solovova Yu.V., The energy industry of Mexico. Changing the political course and rethinking the results of energy reform// Ibero-American notebooks. 2020. №8(1):61-74. https://doi.org/10.46272/24093416-2020-8-1-61-74
4. Krasnykh Olga Vladimirovna, Prospects of Russian-Bolivian cooperation in the energy sector// Social and humanitarian knowledge. 2019. No.3, 358-363 p.
5. Maslennikov, D. D., Nuclear energy as a factor of increasing Russia’s geopolitical influence in the world// Problems of modern international relations and the world economy. Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation, Moscow, 2016, pp. 47-54.
6. Chmyhova, D. M., Myseva E.R., The potential for the development of the nuclear industry in Spain and Latin America// innovative mechanisms for managing the digital and regional economy: materials of the V International Student scientific conference. National Research Nuclear University “MEPhI”, Moscow, 2023, pp. 369-377.
7. Energy profile of Argentina. EES EAEC. URL: https://www.eeseaec.org/energoekonomiceskaa-model-argentiny (accessed: 02.08.2023)
8. Energy profile of Mexico. EES EAEC. URL: https://www.eeseaec.org/energeticeskij-profil-meksiki (accessed: 08.08.2023)
9. National Energy Strategy. Government of Mexico. URL: https://www.gob.mx/sener/documentos/estrategia-nacional-de-energia (accessed: 07.08.2023)
10. Honty Gerardo. (2011) nuclear power in Latin America: the day after. New Society. №234, July-August 2011. Pp. 32-44.
11. Nuclear Power in Argentina. World Nuclear Association. URL: https://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/country-profiles/countries-a-f/argentina.aspx (accessed: 01.08.2023)
12. Nuclear Power in Mexico. World Nuclear Association. URL: https://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/country-profiles/countries-g-n/mexico.aspx (accessed: 07.08.2022)
13. Ten-Year energy expansion plan. Ministry of Mines and energy of Brazil. URL: https://www.gov.br/mme/pt-br/assuntos/secretarias/sntep/publicacoes/plano-decenal-de-expansao-de-energia/pde-2031/english-version (accessed: 05.08.2023)