Zemlyanskaya S., Davydova Yu.
ANALYSIS OF JAPAN’S DEMOCRATIC PRACTICES BASED ON PERFORMANCE MARKERS
Abstract. This article examines the level and quality of democracy in Japanese society. To identify markers of the effective functioning of institutions, elements and the degree of acceptance of democratic values by society, the Vanhanen Tattoo Index, the Cutright Political Development Index and the Gallagher Index were used. For a qualitative analysis of the national democratic practices of Japan, the parameters proposed by A.Y. Melville in the project “Political Atlas of Modernity” were selected. The article concludes that the main institutions of democracy operate in Japan, the analysis of markers showed that democratic mechanisms and procedures function quite effectively. At the same time, attention is drawn to the fact that the national specifics of the functioning of the political system are preserved in Japan, which is manifested in the dominance of the party representation of one party and in the low percentage of women’s representation in government institutions.
Keywords: democracy, democratic institutions, markers of the effectiveness of democracy
1. Gadzhiev, K. S. Comparative political science: textbook for universities / K. S. Gadzhiev – 2nd ed., reprint. and add. – M: Yurayt, 2020– – 361 p.
2. Guskov Yu. V., Matyukhin A.V. / // Introduction to political science: a textbook / Yu. V. Guskov, A.V. Matyukhin. M.: Moscow Psychological and Social Institute, 2005– – 544 p.
3. Evseev V. O. The mechanism of resolving contradictions and the political system of society // Socio-political sciences. 1990. No. 9. p. 77.
4. Kargapolova, E. V. Democracy and social development / E. In Kargapolova // The third Kovalev readings. Materials of the scientific and practical conference. St. Petersburg, November 12-13, 2008. – St. Petersburg: Publishing House of St. Petersburg State University, 2008. – pp. 195-197.
5. Kargapolova, E. V. The place of the state in the life of society (East – West) / E. V. Kargapolova // Pitirim Alexandrovich Sorokin and modern problems of sociology. To the 120th anniversary of the birth of P. A. Sorokin and the 20th anniversary of the Faculty of Sociology of St. Petersburg State University. Materials of the scientific conference – The First St. Petersburg sociological readings. St. Petersburg, April 16-17, 2009: In 2 vols. – Vol. 2. St. Petersburg, 2009. – pp. 247-250.
6. Kargapolova E. V., Alyokhina S. N. East – West: in search of effective models of social development // Social policy and sociology. Interdisciplinary scientific and practical journal. 2010. No. 2. pp. 48-62.
7. Melville, A. Yu. Political Atlas of modernity / A. Yu. Melville, Yu. A. Polunin. – M.: Publishing House “MGIMO-University”, 2007. – 268 p.
8. Panteleeva, M. V. The state system of modern Japan: a textbook / M.V. Panteleeva. – Vladivostok: Far Eastern Federal University, 2014. – 136 p.
9. Smorgunov, L. V. Comparative political science / L. V. Smorgunov. – M.: Yurayt, 2019– – 417 p.
10. Soskovets, L. I. The political system of Japan / L. I. Soskovets. – Moscow: Yurayt, 2019. – 164 p.
11. The Constitution of Japan [Electronic resource] / House of Representatives. – 2020-2021. – Electron. data. – Access mode: https://www.shugiin.go.jp/internet/itdb_kenpou.nsf/html/kenpou/en/constitution.htm (application date: 03.10.2021).
12. Gender representation of members [Electronic resource] / Parliament of India. – 2020-2021. – Electron. data. – Access mode: http://archive.ipu.org/parline-e/parlinesearch.asp (application date: 05.10.2021).
13. JAPAN Shugiin (House of Representatives) [Electronic resource] / Intra-Parliamentary Union. – 2017. – Electron. data. – Access mode: http://archive.ipu.org/parline-e/reports/2161_E.htm (application date: 04.11.2021).
14. PARLINE database on national parliaments [Electronic resource] / Intra-Parliamentary Union. – 2017. – Electron. data. – Access mode: http://archive.ipu.org/parline-e/parlinesearch.asp (application date: 04.11.2021).
15. Rulers [Electronic resource] /Rulers– – 1995-2021. – Electron. data. – Access mode: http://rulers.org/index.html (application date: 04.11.2021).
16. World development Indicators [Electronic resource] / World Bank. – 2021. – Electron. data. – Access mode: https://datacatalog .worldbank.org/dataset/world-development-indicators (application date: 04.11.2021).